General Information

How do I file?

The Notification Process

Human Rights Act
Rules of Procedure
Guides & Information

Annual Reports

Notification Status




Seeking Legal Counsel

Tribunal Members & Staff

What do I do if I think my human rights have been violated?

If you think that your human rights have been violated contact the Nunavut Human Rights Tribunal (NHRT) Office, located in Coral Harbour, to request information and an Application.

If you can answer YES to all of the following questions, you should consider filling out an Application:

Note - Banks, airlines, RCMP, a Federal government department such as Human Resources Canada, Dept of Indian & Northern Affairs are not covered under the Act. If your notification names any of these agencies contact the Canadian Human Rights Commission or by phone 1-888-214-1090.

You should consider getting legal advice and representation from a lawyer or the Nunavut Legal Services Board. The Nunavut Legal Services Board Office is 1-866-606-9400.

You can obtain help in completing a Notification by contacting a Human Rights Officer at 1-413-866-6478.

How do I file

A Notification form will need to be completed. A Notification is a form that must be completed by the person (the Applicant) who says she or he has been discriminated against.

The form can be completed orally or in writing and in any of the official languages. It can be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the Tribunal Office to the attention of the Tribunal Executive Director.

Some questions found in a Notification are:

The Notification can also be filed orally. In addition a Notification can be filed on behalf of an Applicant with her or his informed consent. Any documentation that will support the application should be attached to the Notification. Whenever possible, you should seek the services of a lawyer. You may also have other people in your family or community assist you in communicating with our office.

The Respondent is an individual or agency named in the Notification as allegedly committing the act of discrimination. All people and/or organization listed in the Notification and Reply to Notification are known as the Parties to the Notification.

Forms are available upon request from the Tribunal Office.

What is a “Human Rights Officer”?

The first person that you speak to in the NHRT Office is likely to be a Human Rights Officer. Human Rights Officers are there to help you understand the practices and procedures set out in the Act, how to file Notifications and how to make referrals to other agencies if necessary. They will also look after any special needs that Applicant’s may have, such as interpreter services. Anything that is said to a Human Rights Officer or the Executive Director is confidential.